Reiki is an oriental method of working with energy that you can use for your own benefit and for the benefit of other people. In its original Japanese form in the 1900s Reiki was very much about working on yourself: it was a system that you could use for self-healing, self-development and spiritual development.
Reiki is so much more than an energy healing exercise, however. It is used to relax the body and calm the mind.
The 5 core principles of Reiki also promote self mastery.
Once you understand that life force flows through everything and everyone, you realise that our actions — no matter how small — carry consequences that affect and change the universe.
When we see how our behaviour affects the world around us, it inspires us to become better people and focus on self healing.
Furthermore, with consistent practise, Reiki healing also:
- Improves your breathing, thereby decreasing stress levels and strengthening your lungs and circulation;
- Strengthens your immune system;
- Revitalizes your energy levels, awareness, and concentration;
- Soothes pain and discomfort;
- Can also be used to detox your system of impurities;
- Improves your coordination, motor skills, reflexes, and balance;
- Promotes relaxation and patience for clarity and inner peace.
Reiki could then be considered a potent cross between mindfulness and meditation meeting the needs of the body, the mind, and the soul.